Did you know that seniors travel no less than younger people? Well, data collected by Visa demonstrates that people aged from 55 to 74 travel just as much as their younger counterparts!
However, the research suggests that- at all ages- one’s wanderlust largely depends on one’s income. As a result, the fact that some hotels offer seniors discounts and special deals – is information you’ll want to know about!
8 Hotels That Offer Senior Discounts
Best Western Hotels & Resorts – up to 15% off
Best Western provides up to 15% discounts for guests aged 55+. Best Western also offers free Wi-Fi and complimentary breakfast, among other things.
If you are an AARP member, then you’ll be able to save from 5% to 15% on room rates as well.
Red Roof – 10% off
Red Roof offers 10% off for seniors year-round. To be eligible for this offer, you need to be aged 59+ and need to verify your age at check-in. Be sure to bring your ID to confirm your age (though you probably won’t travel without identification anyway).
Choice Hotels – up to 10% off
If you are 60+ or an AARP member, then you will be able to save up to 10% with Choice Hotels with advance reservations.
Motel 6 – up to 8% off
Motel 6 offers up to 8% off its room rates for seniors aged 60 or more across its US and Canada locations.
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
Seniors aged 60 or more are eligible for special rates at participating Wyndham locations. The discount may vary from location to location. You may call 800-225-3297 as well to request a senior rate.
IHG Hotels & Resorts
IHG Hotels & Resorts locations offer discounted travel rates for people 62 years of age or more, or those who have a valid membership ID of a retired persons’ organization. Discount availability depends on the date and location. Senior rates are available at any participating IHG location around the world.
Omni Hotels provides special rates for seniors aged over 55 across its 60 hotels and resorts across the United States. You may be able by saving even more if you book the pre-paid non-refundable senior rate.
Marriott offers senior discounts globally, but their percentage or availability varies from location to location. Senior discounts are available for those who are over the age of 62.
What To Keep In Mind When Looking For Senior Hotel Discounts
To avoid confusion and to hopefully save more money when traveling, keep in mind the following:
- Early birds may receive better rates. Booking early generally provides you with access to higher discounts, whether you are a senior or not. If possible, book early.
- Some discounts may only be available through the AARP. Some discounts may be exclusive to the AARP Travel Center. We strongly recommend that you have a look at the AARP Travel Center anyway – you should be able to find plenty of hotel discounts there too.
- Carefully review the eligibility criteria. Each hotel network has its own senior discount terms – make sure to understand them before booking a room. Give the hotel a call to make sure that you are eligible as well.
- IDs or membership cards are required at check-in. You probably won’t be traveling without your ID anyway, but an AARP membership card is easy to forget. If you want to make use of retired persons’ association discounts, then you’ll need your membership ID to confirm your membership.
- Advertised discount rates are usually the “best available rates”. Be wary of phrases like “up to” or “best available rate”. These mean that the hotel may provide a lower discount than advertised.
- Senior deals may change over time. Deals may change over time, which is a good reason to book a room while discounts last.
- Discount availability across the world may vary. Some hotels offer senior discounts around the world, while others are limited to one country.
- Senior discounts may be unavailable in certain cases. Senior discounts usually can’t be combined with other promotions, can’t be applied to existing reservations, and often require that the room be reserved in the name of the senior person.
All these discounts should help offset the cost of traveling and help you fully embrace your love of adventure!