A bathroom remodel can hit the wallet really hard, but there are many ways for you to save money on labor and materials. In fact, if approached purposefully, it’s possible to create a stunningly beautiful bathroom without breaking the bank. The most important thing is to research beforehand and find out what bathroom remodeling options there are in your area!
Upgrading a bathroom is tricky. You should not overspend on premium items and upgrades that you don’t need, but likewise, you should not scrimp on your remodel. To get the most value for your money, you should find the right balance between cost and practicality.
Below, we’ll help you set your expectations right (as far as budget is concerned) and save money on your bathroom remodel!
What You Could Change In Your Bathroom With A Remodel
A bathroom remodel is a great investment if you want to:
- Freshen the look of your bathroom. If you don’t think that your bathroom’s aesthetics match the rest of your house, a remodel could provide it with a much-needed appearance upgrade.
- Make your bathroom more accessible. If you or anyone else in your home has mobility issues, then additions like a walk-in tub could be worth the investment.
- Improve bathroom lighting. Among other things, lighting can make or break your grooming sessions, so you should seriously consider upgrading it if it’s not great.
- Rearrange elements to make a more convenient layout. Some bathrooms have more sensible and convenient layouts than others. If you want to open up space or rearrange some elements, a remodel is a great way of doing so.
How Much Does Bathroom Remodeling Cost?
The average cost of a bathroom remodel in the US is $10,707, and most homeowners spend from $6,088 to $15,326 . But depending on the size of your bathroom and what you want to change, you may actually spend much less or much more money on your project.
For updating just the essentials in a small or medium-sized bathroom, you could expect to pay between $3,500 to $7,000. In contrast, a remodel of a large or master bathroom may make your wallet lighter by as much as $25,000!
To give you some perspective as to how much you will have to splurge on a remodel, here’s a cost breakdown of bathroom remodel materials .
|Item||Typical cost range|
|Fixtures (toilets and sinks)||$200 to $1,800|
|Faucets and plumbing||$250 to $1,450|
|Showers||$300 to $3,000|
|Bathroom vanity||$300 to $3,800|
|Countertops||$200 to $1,000|
|Lighting||$100 to $400|
|Bathroom fans||$50 to $300|
|Flooring||$200 to $1,350|
|Entry doors and windows||$200 to $1,800|
|Painting||$150 to $550|
Again, these are prices for the US – actual costs will vary from area to area.
In the UK, for example, the average cost of a full bathroom renovation is about £7,000 . Costs can vary hugely based on numerous factors – a DIY remodel could turn out to be as low as £1,000, while a high-end renovation project from a professional contractor may reach and exceed £15,000.
These figures may seem high, but you could save a lot of money by just picking the right materials for your bathroom remodel. You don’t need to purchase faucets made of pure gold or a divine toilet that can massage your back.
Besides, contractors in your area may be working for cheaper than these averages. So for more accurate cost estimates, you should get in touch with a local contractor.
Ways To Save Money On Bathroom Remodeling
You can save hundreds or even thousands of dollars by just slightly adjusting your approach. Here are a few tips to help you cut costs while ensuring that your bathroom gets the desired improvements .
- Prioritize. You don’t have to remodel your bathroom all in one go. Instead, you should prioritize major improvements, like replacing or fixing broken elements. Then, you could go for the minor stuff.
- Maintain the bathroom’s layout. If you maintain your bathroom’s basic layout, you won’t have to spend any money on expensive plumbing or wiring changes.
- Don’t touch load-bearing walls. Any change to load-bearing walls will require major planning to keep the structure of your home intact.
- Buy materials yourself and do DIY. Buying materials yourself and doing some of the things on your own can help you cut labor costs.
- Don’t splurge on premium items. Premium materials like tile feel and look nice, but they hit your pocket much harder. Don’t cheap out on materials, but don’t spend more than necessary as well.
Bathroom Remodeling Requires Careful Planning
Bathroom remodeling is a major undertaking that requires meticulous planning and budgeting. But unfortunately, without professional inspection, you may not be able to accurately estimate remodeling costs. This is because labor and material costs vary from state to state and country to country.
You should get a quote from at least 3 contractors and pick the one that offers the best value for the money. And you should interview even more than that on the phone first before setting appointments to get quotes. Also, make sure any contractor or remodeling service you use has all the proper licensure, bonding, and insurance needed (this will vary depending on what country and state/province you are in.
Bathroom remodeling has huge benefits, but it pays to be deliberate in how you approach it. Luckily, today, finding bathroom contractors is easier than ever – all the info you need is available online!
“How Much Does It Cost To Remodel A Bathroom?”, HomeAdvisor, https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/bathrooms/remodel-a-bathroom/.
“Bathroom Renovation Cost UK – A Helpful Guide for 2020”, Easy Panels, https://easypanels.co.uk/bathroom-renovation-cost-uk/.
“Bathroom Remodel Costs: 5 Ways You Can Save”, NerdWallet, https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/mortgages/bathroom-remodel-costs.
“7 Ways to Save Money on a Bathroom Remodel”, The Spruce, https://www.thespruce.com/save-money-on-bathroom-renovation-1821369.